latinicaenglish
 
Данас је субота, 24. јун 2017
History
The monastery of Bijela is situated in the vicinity of Šavnik, in the canyon of the river Bijela, with its church dedicated to St. George. Being surrounded by the old woods and rocks, it turns catching to the eye only when coming closer to it. 
 
According to what people say, it is the legacy of both prince Vulović, of whose name we know nothing, and ban Kozlina  of Tušina, consequently contributed in wealth by Saint Jovan Vladimir. The story of this monastery draws back to the fight against Bulgarians, who, people say, “ran down all the Serbian countries“, and reached the Tara river, where Drobnjaci attacked and slayed them all. It is in the name of this event that Bijela monastery has been built. It is dedicated to St George, since it was the feast of the patron saint of the Drobnjaci’s tribe.  This fight might have been won between the years 997 and 1002. During its construction, the monastery was called Tunjomirski, and its church was named Tunjemirica after the neighbouring Tunjomir hill. Older written sources refer to the monastery as Biovski, whereas other records point it as the Church of Saint Vladimir, being situated by the Roman road at the opposite of Tunjomir. The name “Bijela“ is recently dated. It is due to Vulovići, the first habitants of Bijela by the town of Herceg Novi, or allegedly by the river of Bijela, that this name has been kept. An old pine above the monastery believed to have been planted by Saint Sava testifies to the monastery’s antiqueness. The monastery proved precious for Drobnjak  through the times. Saint Jovan Vladimir is mentioned to have been ruling Drobnjak, and also Tsar Lazar, who enriched the monastery with treasure. Tsaritsa Milica is said to have gifted the monastery with the Icon of the Virgin Mary, which consequently failed to get preserved. Bijela monastery used to be a holly place of Drobnjaci, but also a point for many important events. This was the point from where people would leave for Kosovo fight. This was the Holy Communion point. During these Middle Age days, the monastery was many times robbed and set on fire. It was also a place where many deals and oaths were made in the nights of the battles against the Turks. The abbots and priests mostly initiated and organized struggles agains Turks, struggles for freedom. The first written document about this monastery dates from 1656. Some book, then written in that place, is now put in Kiev in Ukraine. Also, there is an old catalogue of the Monastery of Dobrilovine, dating from the first part of the 17th century, inscribed with the names of many priestmonks, also including the ones from Bijela monastery: Nikon, Arsenije, Maksim (1735), and priests: Simon, Aleksije, Stefan, Tanasije. In 1702 Turks burnt down the monastery. Inscribed upon the Monastery of Kosijerevo’s Holy Gospel are the words about the beginning of the Bijela monastery’s construction in 1728 and 1848. There is a record pointing to Maksim the abbot. He decorated the church, enlarged its property, set sleeping quarters and cells for monks, succeeded in wheat manufacturing, and the like. Arsenije, the Bijela monastery’s monk and Stefanija, the nun, are mentioned in 1751 to have contributed to the Monastery of Ostrog. It was already between 1804 and 1805 that Bijela monastery was refered to as Pojušči, denoting its own preserved state. Makarije, the monk of Bijela, passed away fighting against Turks in 1840. The same year Smail-aga Čengić was killed in Drobnjak, after which Makarije was gone to Cetinje to see bishop and to tell him about the Čengić’s death. Eventually he earned a cross from the bishop. But, upon his return, he was attacked and slayed by the Turks, who also looted the place. The monastery was given a new look in 1855, the year after which same place was reruined and renewed. It was given a new look one last time before, as the entrance door inscription lines were saying, “During the reign of Prince Danilo I, in the year of 1887, the Monastery of Saint George was restored with the advocacy of Mitrofan, the metropolitan, and the abbot Dionisije Glođaja“. It is the most widespread temple’s look – single-nave building with an apse and a three-light bell gable. It is 13 metres and a half long, and 6 metres and a half wide. The east side of the wall is built of regularly hewn pieces of stone, whereas other sides are roughly structured. High up in the east side of the wall stands a six angled rose window, while the floor is made of stone. Ornamental ambon most probably belonged to the old church, under which possession and the templon one’s was also the precious icon of Saint George, pictured in the wood. There are also some old holy and liturgy books, and the two bells. One of those bells was contributed in 1930 by Jovan Žižić, the lieutenant colonel, and another one by Janko Dukin in 1870. Since the WWII, the monastery was abandoned. The last abbot refered to was in the year of 1944 under the name of Pahomije Ivanović. Since then not a living soul inhabited that place until its last restoration, which was carried out in 1997, and is still on. The church is restored and covered in copper instead in plates. The sleeping quarters and workroom were erected, so the monastery has a refreshed look. The sleeping quarters were recorded to have been burned down in August 6, 1941. Starting from that time up until 1997 the monastery was taken care by local priests. By the times, the monastery had rich properties (600 hectares), including forests, pastures, prairies, pastures and orchards. Now those properties are reduced to 32 hectares space.
 
Распоред БОЖИЋНИХ БОГОСЛУЖЕЊА
  • 06. јан - Налагање БАДЊАКА у 15ч. испред Манастира
  •  
  •  
  • 07. јан - БОЖИЋНА ЛИТУРГИЈА у поноћ
Распоред богослужења
  • Литургија:
  • Радним данима у 06 ч.
  • Недељом и празницима у 07:30 ч.
  • Јутрење: 05:00 ч.
  • Вечерње: 17:00 ч.
Манастир Бијела | Сва права задржана ©2015 | Продукција ИнфоБит